Paul is a writer. He writes about computers for a living, but one of his hobbies – possibly his main hobby – is to write about other things that interest him. On this page, we’re just providing a short list of some of Paul’s music-related articles that have generated a lot of interest.
These articles are located all over the web, so clicking on any title will take you to another site, but they’re sites we set up, so we feel safe sending you there. Once you’ve clicked on a link, you’ll probably see links to lots more articles – this is just a sampler.
let us know if you enjoy them, or have any corrections, additions, etc.
- How to Give Guitar Lessons – a Humorous Look – You love music, you love guitar, you like kids. What could go wrong? (From CreekDontRise.com)
- Musician or Wannabe? – Talent and dreams are static unless you combine them with a continuous drive to learn and improve. (From CreekDontRise.com)
- Did God Really Give Rock & Roll to You? – Nearly every aspect of Rock and Roll that church folks have objected to over the years actually entered our musical culture from traditional Gospel and related forms. So maybe Argent was right all along. (From CreekDontRise.com)
- Are You a “Brand Bigot”? – Being able to afford a top-of-the-line instrument doesn’t guarantee musicianship or vice versa. (From CreekDontRise.com)
- Who Owns Folk Songs? – Unscrupulous sheet music publishers have tricked many musicians into paying for the right to record songs that the publishers don’t own. (From CreekDontRise.com)
- A Brief History of Contemporary Christian Music – Nowadays, “worship music” can sound a lot like pop tunes on the radio; but many early “Jesus Musicians” paid a price to communicate the gospel in a musical language their peers would understand. (From SchoolOfTheRock.com)
- Give a Toot: Busking for a Good Cause – Have you ever wondered what it would be like to busk, but were ashamed to make it look like you were asking strangers for money you don’t really need? Try playing for a good cause, like a Salvation Army Kettle (From FamilyChristmasOnline.com)
- Whatever Happened to the Banjo? – Marginalization of an American Icon – Once used in every form of American music, banjo has all but disappeared from most of them. What happened? (From CreekDontRise.com)
- Axes in my Life – Guitars, banjos, bases, and mandolins that have given me the gift of music over the last 50 years. (From CreekDontRise.com)
- Horns I Have Known – an admittedly subjective look back at saxophones I’ve owned and learned from over the years. (From SchoolOfTheRock.com)
- Can you Worship the Lord on the Flutophone? – Worried about drums or guitars in church? Learn how the major classes of musical instruments we use today all descended from the instruments mentioned in Psalm 150: brass, woodwinds, strings, and percussion. (From SchoolOfTheRock.com)
- Saxophones in Church? – Are you a saxophone player who would like to join your church’s praise team? Here are several tips, based on real-world experience. (From SchoolOfTheRock.com)
Enjoy your hobbies, your music, and your vocation!